I know that Thanksgiving is over and the country has skipped ahead to Christmas eve, but let me go back a bit. We had Thanksgiving dinner with Grammie, GrandDad, and cousins as we usually do. A great meal with good company. In years past I have missed having a bit of left over food to extend the holiday so this year I had the leftovers early, before Thanksgiving. Are they really left overs then? Not really. My sister in law and her friends do what they call Practice Thanksgiving, a big dinner with turkey and all the trimmings and friends and no stress. It is a chance to enjoy the holiday with more people and try new things or make your own favorites that didn't make the cut for the main event dinner.
I like the idea and I guess that is what I did in my own way. It started because turkeys were on super sale the week before Thanksgiving so I bought one for fun. I had cranberries in the freezer from who knows how long ago and sweet potatoes are a regular part of our meals.
I think that this was about the second time that I have actually cooked a turkey and it turned out really yummy. I mixed rosemary and thyme from my yard (1/2 cup-ish) with softened butter (1/3 cup-ish) and smeared it under the skin. I put an onion cut in quarters in the cavity and roasted it at 275 for a VERY long time. I put some veggie stock in the bottom of the roasting pan and basted the bird a few times. I also cooked the neck for the stock pot. (A rough rule of thumb is 30 minutes per pound at 250 degrees. I didn't want to wait this long but wanted the slow roast so I went a little higher, but it still took a long time to reach 165. I probably should have gone to 170 but, hey, sometimes I live a little dangerously and it was getting late.) The end result was peanut butter sandwiches for dinner and a deliciously roasted turkey just in time for late night snacking. The fresh herbs turned the flesh a bit green, but it was still REALLY good. I impressed myself.
Since it was late I took the main pieces of meat off the bones, but didn't pick it clean. Really, who can be bothered with turkey legs after 10:00. Instead I broke it up and put the whole thing, neck and all, into my biggest pot, covered it with water, added a few more herbs, and started it simmering on the stove. Before going to bed I put the pot in the oven at 200 degrees and let it do it's thing all night. I figured it wouldn't hurt and it might be good. It was fantastic.
So that's my turkey. Inspired by Bobby Flay and Ree Drummond and a desire to get some sleep while making turkey stock.
The greatest thing about Practice Thanksgiving is that it can be a week long event. So during the week we ate the leftover turkey with dressing made with fabulous turkey stock. Later I made gravy. I made orange cranberry sauce and I made mince meat pie filling to top my breakfast oatmeal. There was even enough gravy that we used my gravy as a last minute fill in for the actual Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day.
I even made something with pumpkin, but not pie, or the usual spices. It was my friend's pumpkin black bean soup. (recipe here) Very tasty.
I think I might do this again next year. After all, practice makes perfect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yum! My family went out for Greek food this year, which was delicious, but I love turkey. Maybe I'll try my hand at cooking one... Sweet potatoes and cranberries are dietary mainstays for me. So fun to see the soup recipe pop up. Glad you enjoyed!
Post a Comment